Monday, March 17, 2014

3-16-2014Owl Prowl Night Hike

This hike is a little different than most.  For one it is more like a walk.  And two it is at night.  March 14th, 15th and 16th was our Owl Prowl weekend whereas each night we took 40 people (20 in each group - max.) on a short walk to call and hopefully see owls.  Sunday night was reserved for our guests that chose to stay in the overnight package.  My day to do the evening walk was Sunday.
STEVE BAILEY



Our guide on Sunday was Steve Bailey (an ornithologist).  He started out the evening with an Owl Presentation in the LaSalle Room in the Lodge at 6:00p.m.  Near 7:00p.m. we lent everyone flashlights that left theirs at home.  And we were off.







A LITTLE PAST SUNSET



We headed out toward Aurora Canyon.  Didn't really go very far, we just hung out on the stairs and listened in silence (it seemed like forever) as Steve did his thing.

After about 3-4 calls, which seemed liked forever, they first called back.  And then they flew in.  I was in the back of the group and couldn't get a good photo.  However there was a guest on Friday night's hike that had a much better camera than I had.  He e-mailed it to me this morning just in case I didn't get a photo.  Thanks to Mr and Mrs Tom Peters.
BARRED OWL- PHOTO TAKEN BY TOM PETERS
BEAUTIFUL EVENING




It was a beautiful evening to be out.  It was a clear night with a full moon.








 On the way to my car I was really hoping to see some kind of wildlife.  Our resident raccoons didn't disappoint.  The longer I stayed to get a better photo, the more comfortable the raccoon got with me standing there.  He finally started to walk toward me, so I took the photo and got out of there.
RACCOON ON THE PARKING LOT
OWL BOX NEAR WEST PARKING LOT




In addition, we also have a few of owl boxes in hopes of attracting some owl families.  Here is a photo of one near our West parking lot.  Not sure if any has taken up residence yet.







I will leave you with this:  Wherever you may hike or walk, just put one foot in front of the other.  It's all about the experience not the destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment