Friday, January 16, 2015

Nature Preserve- Margery Carlson, Jan 15, 2015

 Nice sunny day for a hike.  Today there were 25 hikers with 2 dogs.  Our hike today was scheduled to go to a Nature's Preserve.  We met in the Lobby and flipped a coin on which nature preserve to go to.  We carpooled to the parking area.  This preserve has very limited parking.  


I took this photo on Wednesday on my way to work.  I couldn't resist.  This is "Edna's" Tree


We are waiting for a few hikers to arrive so Ron is telling us who Margery Carlson is.  
 This 234 acre preserve is named in memory of Margery Carlson, who was instrumental in protecting the area, formerly known as Big Bend Nature Preserve. Carlson was a founder of the Illinois chapter of The Nature Conservancy, serving the chapter as its first secretary and later as trustee.
I think we had 6 cars in the parking lot and 3 on the road

We are getting assembled.  Kind of like herding cats

There are no trails in the preserve.  When a tree falls, you just have to go around, over or under.




We saw quite a few deer stands.  Lucky for us, deer hunting doesn't start until Friday.

After a very brushy walk we made it to the Vermillion River.  Partially frozen.  Below is a video of the River.


Time for a group photo.  Ron assured me everyone was on rocks not ice.  I'm not totally 100% sure he is correct.  But no one fell through.

I couldn't believe my luck with what is here.  I think this is the last of the bunny's (or some other small animal.)  It is a Wing Print.  Similar to a foot print but with wings!

Lori and Kevin

I would have liked to see this bridge when it was in use.

The Nature Preserve has an Arch.
We arrived back at the Lodge about 11:30a.m./12:00p.m. Some of us enjoyed some hot chocolate or coffee.  Then I had to go back to the work in the office.  I love Thursdays!

I will leave you with this:  Wherever you may hike or walk, just put one foot in front of the other.  It's all about the experience not the destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment